©1999 - 2005
Edward D. Reuss
All rights reserved. Including the right of reproduction in whole or part in any form


U.F. 16

In 1958, the memo book was a small 50 numbered pages attached to a piece of cardboard by a staple. On the first line of the left side, you print DATE OPENED and on the next line, DATE CLOSED. You then entered the date of the first entry and when filled, the date closed.

This book records the basic assignment of the patrol officer. It goes something like this:
May 11,1959,fair, tour 8x4. The next line is post 15&16,ring 10 meal 11 rel. Post 14 at 12. After that, if you took action, served a summons or anything other than routine patrol, you would enter the time and circumstance. If it were a normal tour, the only entries would be something like, "930 am personal 1696 Flatbush Ave. 950 am, on post. 11am meal 3904 Ave D. 12 p.m. on post 240 p.m. personal 1696 Flatbush Ave. "at the end of the tour, you would write NOTHING TO REPORT and on the next line your rank, name and shield number.

Those entries were what were usually in your memo book. The changes being where you took your personal and meal. It also gives you a record of when you worked, where you worked and your days off. Sometimes, you can make a mistake, as I have on a few occasions. In 1959 a Ptl. worked 5 and a 56 which means that if you started an 8am to 4pm and did that for 5 days. You then were off for 56 hours, which means when you added 56 hours to the end of your tour, which was 4pm; your next tour is 12 midnight. You then do 5 and after that you get another 56 hrs. Which means after the late tours, you do 4pm to 12am. On most days, I wrote NOTHING TO REPORT. But as the days and years went on, I could find a few entries and some of them would bring back a memory, start me thinking about something that occurred around that time.

This is the beginning. It was early morning of Oct. 15, 1958 when I reported to 240 Centre St. on the 4th floor where a lot of men in suits were all waiting around. The 4th floor was part handball court and the other half the famous "LINE UP ROOM". I will get to that later, however, now is a good time to tell you that I jump around a little, so this will not always be chronological. The memo book "AKA" U.F.16, is a record of what goes on but it also sparks a more detailed thought (sometimes right but sometime the memory has eroded a bit.
But getting back to my first day on the job, we (about 200) were sworn in by chief clerk Louis Stutman. The P.C. at that time was Steve Kennedy, who I think said a few words. We were then assigned squads and paid 6 cents for a large pin to hold our SHIELD (which, by the way, is never called a badge). A police officer takes the shield out of a box like holder that I was told is an exact size of the shield. My shield number was 19853.

While before the swearing in, my father who was a Sgt. in Traffic I, said to check with the chief clerks office and see if his PTL.  Shield number was available. It wasn't, but if it were, my shield would have been 13513. That's how come my lucky number is 13. If you add the 3 thirteen's in my fathers' shield number, the one before the 5, and the one after the five and then add each number, the total is thirteen also, the fact I was born on the 13th and was married on the 13th, you see why it is lucky (many years later, my daughters first command was the 13 Pct.

A memo book from 1958 to 1966 was a book 51/2 inches by 4 and 1/2 wide with 17 lines. My first book show page 1 DATE OPENED Oct 21, 1958 line two DATE CLOSED Apr 7, 1959.Down in the middle of the page is Bklyn. Ma 5-4400. That was the number of Bklyn. Headquarters. On the next line is 90 Pct. st2-5827. The 90 Pct. was 1 of 2 Pcts. I was assigned to patrol while still at the P.A. On page no.2, the first line is signed Oct.22, 1958 Lt. Frank P.A. When a book is opened and closed, superior officer signs. The title of superior officer was changed to supervisor. Apparently, somebody finally woke up and realized that the (bosses) were not (superior)to Ptl.

The next line is Tue. Oct. 21,1958. Now don't ask why Lt. Frank signed my book on top of the first entry, or why he put the date Oct. 22, above my first entry Oct 21,1958 (fair) tour 8430am to 430 PM. back to Oct 21,1958,
845am Academic
     1230pm Meal 240 Centre St.
115 Academic 7 Hubert St.
Prob. Ptl. . John J. Moran Jr. Sh.19853
So, that was my first day of NOTHING TO REPORT.

The first and second book cover the time in the P.A. and the first two commands assigned before graduation. In looking through them, I notice that I don't note the 79 Pct or 90 Pct. which was the two Pcts. I worked temporally. On the cardboard backing of the last page. I found the names of Sqd 3 company 4. Eight names including myself. 2 is Ray Miles, I remember working with him in the 79. We both bought new holsters for our service revolvers. Mine had a swivel and a strap. Ray had one that you pushed a button and the holster sprang open. Number 8 is James Coughlin. Jim, I remember very well. Jim and I went] to Little Flower School. While I was in High School, I came across Jim who said he was enlisting in the U.S.M.C.R. at Floyd Bennett Field. When I was 17 and a half, I joined the Marine Corp Reserve. After graduation, I was assigned to the 25 Pct. and lost track of Jim.
Now back to book #1, Lt. Frank was like our homeroom teacher. There were several teachers, both lieutenants and sergeants. 7 Hubert St was originally a public school and the rookie class- rooms were on the 5th floor. Of course it was a walk up.

Another entry, is tues.10/24 8am Firing range 7 Hubert St. In those days, you were given your pistol on the first day. Right after swearing in, we formed a line at the rear of 400 Broom St. the first floor was the equipment section there the officers gave us a very large brown paper bag with gray uniform and equipment including a pistol. I chose a S&W some others chose a Colt both were a six shot revolver although the barrels rotated differently. By Oct 24, nine days after coming on the JOB we were told to bring the box and holster to the P.A.We were then qualified and could wear the gray uniform. AW4e had a regulation hat but since we hadn't received our cap devices yet, we had just the top part without our shield number underneath the city symbol.

By Oct.28, we were armed and in uniform and started our physical training. In the morning
Or afternoon, we reported to the N.Y.S. National Guard Armory on Bedford Ave. and Atlantic Ave. about 2 blocks from the H.S. I went to St. Leonard's Academy at 26 Brevoort Place. Because we changed into gym clothes, one man from each company would safeguard the clothes and weapons. In the physical part, we ran (a lot), did judo, boxing and calisthenics etc:.

The next interesting entry is Nov. 4, a Tues. It reads like this
Tues. Nov 4,1958(Fair) tour 9am-4pm Nov 5.
845 Academy 7 Hubert St.
The next line says
6pm 88 Pct. Tabulating duty.
Don't ask what happened to the 845am entry at the P.A., and the 6pm at 88 pct. It could be a mistake. I do remember going to the 88 Pct. on Election Day. The chart was out and police officers did all sorts of tours. Also, there was no overtime or traveling time.
On Nov. 6,there were two entries.
Thurs Nov.6,1958 (fair)tour 830am-430pm
845 Physical (don't ask me what happened to the 15 mins. From start of tour)
1145 Meal 7 Hubert St.
115 Academic 7 Hubert St.


Thurs.Nov.6,1958 tour 8-4
Post 34 Meal 1030 S.C. 30
Rel. by 35 Ring 46 Rel 35 at 1pm

Prob. Ptl. John J. Moran Jr. shield 19853

Looking at the memo book entries, I have found that there are mistakes all over (it's a good thing that they didn't score for memo mistakes. We also took our first alarms on the back page of the preceding page. In a patrol pct. everybody was required to take at least 10 alarms. These were, for the most part, stolen cars. There were also descriptions of wanted persons.

In reading my memo book I see Dec 17, 3pm to 11pm Post 20 ring 03 rel 19 at 8 Meal 5pm. It doesn't say what pct I was working in but I remember going on field training in the 81 pct. Two of us would walk a post together and were supervised by a Sgt. from the P.A. By the 23rd.we were back at the P.A. On Dec. 31,we were back on the street in the 13 Pct. Now, I learned about personals. What that means is that if you leave your post for any reason, you make a memo entry of why and where. So, if you had a personal necessity (the need to empty your bladder), you entered the time location and the time returned to post. It would look like this. 725 p.m. personal 47 E 21 St. 740 returned to post. You could also squeeze in a cup of coffee during that 15 or 20 min.

On Jan 3, 1959, I had something to report. Sat Jan 3, 1959(fair) tour 3pm-11pm post 38 meal 6 ring 20 545pm lamp out at 53 E 25 St. .So on that day, after my usual entries, I just signed my name and left out nothing to report. On Jan 3, on the back page from the previous one, there are 5 alarms and on the bottom half of the page is the description of the post I was assigned to Post 38, 4th Ave N of 23 St to 26 St 1/2 block each way. Route to post, w on 22 St to 4th ,north to post. Box 1304 at 303 4th Ave. Sgt. Green supervisor. The box 1304 means the call box #4 of the 13 pct. After that, we were back at the P.A. The alarms, as I mentioned before are for stolen cars and wanted persons. They come down on the teletype with numbers starting at the beginning of the year. So, on Jan 3,1959, the numbers were low, such as alarm 145'56 chev bl & wh 4058ng.NY 146 etc: to 149 which was only plates dlr3279 NY there would also be a car with no lic. plates such as 147 56 chev gr & with no plates. Years latter, I would wind up where the alarms were sent out at COM. DIV.

When someone reports their car stolen, the Pct. calls the alarm board and gives them the information including the Pct. complaint number. The alarm board, teletypes it to all commands throughout the city. Remember, that was 40 years go. Now with computers, things are a lot different. Cars are still being stolen and nobody takes alarms anymore, they just use portable radios to ask the dispatcher (I was one of those also),for a lic. Plate check.

The next interesting entry is Jan 13, It is still at the academy, but the big deal is the date. Jan. 13, was my 22nd birthday. The day after that I was on foot patrol in the 81 Pct. more field training. I worked with a lot of other rookies, but I can't remember all the their names. One name comes to mind is Bob Mussella. I remember him for two reasons. When I went to the 25 Pct., after graduation, he did also. The other reason was when in physical training, he always out boxed me. From what I remember, I wasn't good at boxing, I got tired of swinging my arms so much. You definitely learned a lot in the P.A. Tues Jan. 27, (snow) 845am swimming 83 Carmine, St. We had to pass a swimming test. Jan 30, 745 am Firing range 34 St and Park Ave. This is where I found my difficulty in shooting. In target practice, you fire at bulls eye targets about 50 ft. away. There is slow, timed and rapid fire with a perfect score of 300.. I had 2 problems, one was anticipation of sound and the other was holding my arm steady. The range officers were very helpful. A year or so later, I would go to qualify at the range, and score 30 out of 300. Which was definitely bad. After a lot more practice, I qualified.

Wed. Feb.4, 725am, reported sick to the 63 Pct. I was living in the confines of the 63 Pct. and an officer who is sick reports sick at his residence or where he get sick or injured. At 330pm, I reported to Dr August the P.D. surgeon, who covers my Pct.. I don't recall what was wrong but Dr. August wanted to give me more time off, but I didn't want to miss class or any tests. Which reminds me of some class work. In academic, the teachers taught penal law, U.S. Constitution. There were classes on children and a lot of other subjects, but the one thing stands out, was the speech. Every one had to give a short speech telling about oneself. Ever since H. S., I was always nervous about standing up in front of the class and talking. The only reason I did give speeches in the P.A. was because you did what you were instructed to do. If not, one might fail the class. Still on the first memo book on page 33. We were still in the P.A. but doing foot patrol in the 79 Pct. I had purchased my blues (blouse, overcoat, summer blouse and trousers, from Browning King. Where you see the word blouse, you think of the short coat with choker collar and the summer blouse as a dress coat. We were going to Baruch College on Lex and 22. St for skits(play-acting) with M.O.F.s acting in dramatizations of various situations one might see on the street. It was to show us what the reality would be and how to handle a number of different circumstances. After the skit, we would get a post to the 79 Pct. for the remainder of the tour. This was happening because in the past Nov., a large group of police officers were sworn in. We were mostly finished with school and training and were waiting for the new class to finish.

A typical entry in the memo book was
Sat. Mar.7, 1959(fair)tour 4pm-12am
Post 19 Meal 9 Ring 10 Rel 18 at 630
545pm Family dispute at an address on Stockton St. to get clothes out of home. This was the typical (clothes job)
629pm Condition corrected

Tues Mar 10, 1959(snow) tour 130pm to 930pm.On the back page of the previous page(which was the top of the book while looking at current page below)we took alarms with city numbers that are now at 5277 which is for a Merc. CQ652, '74 is a m.p. which means missing person. 73 is A&R 42 Pct. 70 is a Renault with dealer plates, 69 is a Det. Shield #1714. At the bottom of the 16 alarms is the summons return date. Mar.16. When writing a summons for traffic violation, you gave a date which was on the roll call. This date is in case someone who gets a summons and pleads NOT guilty, appears I court. (In those days, summonses were returnable to Magistrates Court.
130pm Baruch school 23&Lex.
6pm 79 Pct. post 17 ring 50

On March 11, I got two scratches, when the Sgt. came by to see you, he would sign your book. The first was at 905pm Sgt. Mould-the rest is not clear. One knows for sure that to read my terrible handwriting is difficult even for me which may lay ahead in this story. The next was at 1030pm Sgt.(looks like Fhn)79 Pct. inspected.

Fri. Mar. 13,1959 tour 4-12
Detective duty 79 Sqd, what that meant, was I did with another rookie, a tour with two Dets. Who did the usual paperwork, interviewing of witnesses and complainants. They also were doing what is called D.D.5s,which is the follow-up investigation to the U.F. 61,which is the complaint report. Among their duties that night, was patrol. The detectives went out looking for dis.cons.(disorderly conduct. The Penal Law is several actions that are deemed disorderly. They took us to deserted basements and that like looking for crapshooters. In those days, an arrest was a number, whether or not it was for dis.con. or assault. Tues.Mar.17, tour 945am...945am Sec 6 Parade 60ths St and 5th Ave. Post eastside 60St. 100 ft. from 5th Ave. That was my first St Patrick's Day Parade and the first of MANY details.

During the time I was going to the P.A., and working at the 79 Pct., I started to have (a lot to report).such as Mar 20, Post23, 620pm Notify Donald  M-- of 537a(I didn't put what street he lived on) of recovery of 1953 Merc. at the 18 Pct..640pm Personal 6970 Lafayette Ave. T.S. notified.(you were supposed to call in to the telephone switchboard when and where you were going for a personal. It was rarely done, unless you thought the Sgt. was going to be looking for you. More on that later.

Sat Mar 21, tour 4-12 Post 19 meal 7 ring 40 rel 18 at 6 430pm drunk in hallway at 9280 Myrtle Ave. Gone on arrival. 640pm Picked up Ptl. Sorrentio to take psycho to K C Hosp. G bldg. 645ppm 30-01 Lexington Ave. to take psycho .650pm Relieved by other footman, Ptl.Walsh. what I think that means is that the pct had a ptl. From the 79 to take the psycho because I was a rookie and might get stuck at G bldg. for a very long time. 7pm Meal 773 DeKalb Ave 830pm issued summons to Reginald J for improper lights(no lights on) 805pm collision,3 cars, minor damage no person aided. 750pm back on post 1145pm. Mrs. M--- family dispute.1205am condition corrected. During March, I checked to see if children were uncared for, assault on deli owner. Notifications of arrested people, aided or verify person arrested actually lived at the address they gave, and similar duties.

On march 26, I started in the 90 Pct. (still assigned to the police academy ) we were now put in a chart. On my first 12-8, as I recall, the Sgt. turning us out, (me and another rookie) told two other men to take care of them. Well they did that alright. After we left the S.H.(station house), one officer took us in his car to Bickfords, which, I think was around Flushing Ave. and B'way., to get something to eat. After that the four of us went to our posts. One of the regulars told me and the other rookie to check our doors (store doors) to see if all was secure. We were to meet him at the call box about an hour later.

To be candid, what happened next was not the normal routine for me. I was still assigned to the P.A. and was walking foot patrol in blue uniform on late tour in the 90 Pct. . We met on a corner at a call box. The two veterans called in for their ring and said they would be at the P.T. club. They told me that a ("cop is on the box") Usually a Sgt. would answer the call box. I called in gave my name and post and said I would be at the P.T. club. It was actually the Park Throop club. It got its name by the two streets it was on. We sat down and rested for a while(don't ask how long).Apr.6,4-12 833pm 56 Throop Ave. I have almost instant recall. How I remember this is because of the following while making a ring, the Sgt. said to go to that address and said it was a maternity. I said is there an amb. On the way and his response was, "Don't worry kid you have to learn someday". What he said sounded ominous but it wasn't. In the P.A., we had a movie about childbirth. When I arrived, I asked and was told that the expectant mother was in the bathroom. I then became slightly alarmed. It was on of the subjects discussed in the class. The mother to be could accidentally drop the baby into the toilet. But the mom comes out and said it was imminent. The amb. Hadn't arrived yet and I again started thinking. the next entry shows 845pm aided (maternity)Anna L-of -- Throop Ave. Female white 18 yrs. Att.Rigney responded from St. Catherine's Hosp. Bus#58(bus is the term used to say ambulance) Dr. Faga delivered baby at residence. So you see, I almost had to do it by myself. 1015pm on Post.

On the first UF16, on page 49, I go from 11pm April 7, with an entry 11pm Brought one Eddie --- to 90 Sqd. For investigation of burglary. Amazingly, I have a typo in my first book. On the top of page 50 it reads "slipped on icy sidewalk. Wife May present Removed to St Vincent's Hosp. Att. Piffraher
John Doe 29617

June 5,1957(fair)tour 4-1112
Post 6 to 9 Ring 53 S.C. 16 Meal 6
755 Reported lamp outage on n/e corner Canal St & Broadway. Apparently, at the end of page 49 and the top of page 50, there is something wrong. Although the page is loose from the staple, I believe it belongs to the same book. So I obviously, mad a big BO, BO. So ends the first U.F. 16.
In book two, I am still in the P.A.. book 2 page 1 Opened Apr. 8,1959 closed July 8,1959

On page one are the phone numbers for bklyn com. div. 90 Pct. 25Pct. man. Com Div. and the address for upper Manhattan Magistrates court that was at 455 W157 St. Summons issued in 25 Pct. were sent there. On page 2 line 3 it says 4-8-59 and two lines down is the signature of Lt. Bar. I was almost always on foot patrol except for s short time as a fill in on RMP (radio motor patrol.)On the roll call the Ptl. Assigned to foot patrol are listed by the lowest post first the men (at that time no females were on patrol) in cars would be listed as REC/OPR RMP 1234 Sector 1 and so on. While on foot patrol I picked up assignments from the public and was sent on assignments by the T.S..

There were many different types of (JOBS). Such as family disputes, aided, DOAs, fire reports and the occasional traffic violation. Something the PA taught was when writing a summons for a violation of both city and state traffic law, you should use the city traffic regulations rather than the state VTL. In that way, the city would received the fine money rather that have the money go to the state.

Monday Apr.20, 1959 My first arrest 1217am arrested Ralph M---- for Mal. Mis false alarm of fire. At Throop Ave. and Walton St assisted by Prob. Ptl. Roland Driscoll. 1257 am to S.H. with prisoner. 5am, post change excused for court. They say you always remember the first collar. We, Roland and I, had just gotten off the bus to walk to our foot post when we saw the perp. Pull the firebox. To see who made the collar, we flipped a coin and I won. It was a custom to give a day off for "good arrest" for catching someone pulling a firebox. I wrote a U.F. 49, which means a typed letter. The U.F. meant Uniform Force. The numbers after that explained that different #s such as U.F. 16 memo book, U.F. 49,typed letter,U.F.49a, a short letter. U.F. 250, stop and question a suspicious person and so on and so forth. But back to the arrest, after the paper work that the Sqd. did most of, I filled in the arrest cards and signed the necessary forms. When I was finished, I brought the prisoner and the paper work to the D.O.(desk officer) and he was 'BOOKED' ie: the information was entered in the arrest record. The D.O. then told me to go up to the dormitory to 'rest" Until 8am when I had to take the perp to court. 9am, to East New York Mag. Ct. Def held for special sessions magistrate Lio. What I remember about court is, while awaiting arraignment, reporter from the news asked about the arrest and was told it was my first, he said he would try to put it in the News.

 For the next two days, I checked the News and couldn't find anything about it. When I came back to the 90 Pct. for a tour, I submitted my 49 to the Capt. and he said that he would give me a day off if I were assigned to the Pct. upon graduation. I Wasn't. Apr.26, 745pm issued summons #e548628 to Jerry M--- for signal light (sign), he stated he didn't see the sign "stop here on red signal"

Apr.28,Post 28-29 4pm to S.H. R&P 18/8.0. That designation of Rules and Procedure chapter 18 paragraph 8.0 said something to the effect that the Ptl. Assigned to the S.H. Post may be assigned to assist the D.O.inpreparing e paper work. In actual fact, there was always one man assigned to that on the roll call. It sometimes required an addition man to help with the paperwork for a few hours. Prior to the R&P designation the job was called the 95 man because the rules at that time gave the authorization as #95 . It was also called the 124 man. The latest designation is that of 3/21.The officer assigned to the office, did many things. He typed UF 61s ,he also had a second file with numbers starting at the beginning of the year for recording complaints mainly for insurance purposes. For example, some one steals your daughter's bike you report it to your insurance company. They in turn call the pct. for a complaint number to verify you reported it. This way the insurance company knows you reported and the pct does not make a 61 which would have to be followed up by detectives who were supposed to investigate all 61s. The 1/24 man also had to record all the summonses issued during the previous tour in the summons record book. When he had help from another Ptl. That officer would also relieve the T.S. if there were only two Sgts. working that tour. More on the T.S. later when I go to the 61 Pct.

Apr.30,post 33-34 meal 7 ring 02 rel sec 2 .(another mistake) a foot post doesn't relive a sector. 630pm Mrs. G---- reports past burg on Rutledge St. Taken from 3rd fl front floor apt. I then enter in the book everything that was taken. I didn't remember why. The book goes on to give name and description of the perp and I checked out the address. I didn't find him.

 On Sun. May 3, I handled two sick cases one at 835am on Park Ave and the next at 915 on Nostrand Ave. The first a, 22 month old went to Cumberland Hosp. the second, a 41yr. Female went to Greenpoint Hosp. It was usual for the amb to take the aided to the hosp. that they were assigned to. On May 4 at 1pm to Eastern District H.S. with 3 truants delivered to Mr. N Ruben also 1 to P.S. 122. May 5, I was in a sector car. RMP 598 Sec 2. It doesn't say whom I rode with. We had 3 jobs before we went on the division mail run, and 1 more after that. It was an unconscious man who refused medical aid.(RMA). Obviously the aided wasn't uncon. When we arrived. May 7&8 I was back at the Armory at Bedford Ave. and Atlantic Ave.
Monday May 11,1959(cloudy) Graduation. 10 am Central Park. Assigned to 25 Pct. Graduation day I remember. We had all filled out cards with our Dept info and there was a blank space for command. When I got it back, the command was filled in with red pencil and it was 25. For a kid from Flatbush, I had no idea where the 25 was. My mother and father and sister Maryellen were there at the graduation. most of the guys I worked with were sent to the 79 Pct. Some other men went to midtown Pcts. Others went to various places and some went to traffic. I wish now that I had a copy of the personnel orders. I remember some guys who went to the 25 with me. Bill Flaherty, Bob Mussella and John McClain. The next day, we reported to the 25 pct. at 8am the civilian Att. (I think the title was porter gave me set (2) of numerals All precincts who has cells, had Ptl. As attendants to supervise any prisoners. One usually bought several sets of numerals for the shirts and coats. I think they were about 10 cents a number since 25 was two it probably cost 20 cents each set. Capt. Morgan, the C.O. of the 25 spoke to us. One think I recall is that while talking about summonses,(no quotas), he said something to the effect that we should take it easy on the merchants as they work and live in the area; and there are plenty of passersby and tourists. I never figured out if he just meant parking summons or both movers. I had a chance to tell the Capt. about my arrest for false alarm. He said he couldn't give me a day off, but if I got one here, he would.

The day before, on graduation day, my father called a friend of his Insp. Harkins and asked if he knew anyone in the 25. He was told to call the "roll call man". This is the Ptl. who makes out the daily assignments. All my father did was ask that I be assigned to the same squad that he was in. This reminds me, going back to my field training time. There were two days that I was assigned to direct traffic with a regular officer. It just so happens that on those days, My father was the supervisor and he met us on post. I don't know what he said to me but I do remember saluting him. Also, while still in the P.A. we went to a lineup on the same floor was I was sworn in. This particular morning they happened to have to men who killed a woman in Brooklynafter a lot of drinking. I still remember the Lt. who was conducting the line-up saying that one of the perps .as a police officer from Brooklyn. We were supposed to see an autopsy as part of training but for some reason, that day it was cancelled. So I never went to the morgue.

Back to the 25, My father never talked to anyone about getting me a better house. (Station house ie:pct)all he said was, after probation, he would talk to someone. The fact that he called the roll call man for a particular squad, probably made the roll call man assign me to stick post in the lower east side of the pct. Stick post meant that everyone in the command was assigned either a sector or a foot post. All names were on a large stick with the post or sector underneath with each Sqd. My assigned post (if there were 50 footmen working) was the F.D.R .drive aka. East River Drive. From 110 St to 120 St. (I think). I was often assigned to that same area. First Ave. from 110 to 116 plus 1/2 block e and w. I also got Pleasant Ave. from 114 to 120. Also Jefferson Park, which was 111 St to 114 St bet First Ave. and FDR drive. Wed. May 13,1959(fair) tour 12am-8am post 26-27 meal 315 ring 35 rel by sector 2.That rel. sec. 2, means relieved by the sector that covered the foot post.  to 115 St & Park Ave. owners from molested.(I don't know what that meant but I remember that the location had a lot stores underneath the El train of the N.Y. Central railroad. I guess, on late tours it meant give attention to the stores so no one would break in or harass the owners. 1250am accompanied Virgina R--- to 188 to serve summons on Delores r--- of Lexington Ave. due may 13 915am. R----- not at home at 130am on post 135 to S.H. I don't have a clue why. (again the uf16 is not always very accurate.)

The Sgts. on patrol are supposed to occasionally inspect the Ptls memo book I wouldn't say I made improper entries but I am starting to see mistakes in the way I wrote in it. I have heard on a few occasions, from other P.O's., that the less you put in the book, the better. I also know some guys wrote everything they could think about a particular incident in the book. Anyway, back to May 13, 210am on post 315am Meal 68 E 125 St. I don't have an entry as back on post. The meal address, I think, is an all night diner and the only one in the pct. that was open all night. I say more on restaurants later. 635 am to Hosp. Of Joint Diseases aided case. It turned out to be an assault and robbery. A&R. I wrote a whole page on this ending with referred to 25 Pct.

The next entry is May 14, post 3&5 which refreshing my memory by another entry, was Pleasant Ave. which is a block east of First Ave. starting at E 114 St. another funny entry is 230am meal at 68 E 125. Think of this, 68 E. 125 St is a diner between Park Ave and Madison Ave (or 5th ). And my post was on Pleasant Ave. 114 St. to 129 St. which is pretty far away. It was about 10 blocks from the call box on to 125 St and then walking from 1st.Ave. to 2nd to third then to Lexington and then to park . I was told by someone, that it is the only place to eat on late tours.730am S.C.3 We had school crossings that sometimes went to 8am. Your were not supposed to leave it. Leaving your post at the end of your tour was confusing to say the least. The R&P. says remain at your post until relieved. The problem with this is, there may not be a relief on the next tour. Most guys left the post in time to get to the pct. about 5 mins past the end of the tour. If you got in proximity of the S.H. before the end of the tour, you better hide in a doorway. The shooflys (supervisor of patrol) usually a lt. Or Capt. Were sometime around to give the Ptl. a complaint for being off post. One such shoofly was a Lt. Codd. Who sometimes took his daughter in his dept. car from Queens to a train in Manhattan. He, is the same one who became the P.C. years later and one of the rising stars to pass through the Tactical Patrol Force when I was there.

On May 19, I was doing a 4x12 on post 20-21. At 715 I write, outside 121 115 St. observed for 15 mins. No violations of law observed Again at 950pm another observation at 130 E 115 St for 20 mins. no viol. Of law The above were as I recall, gambling locations. There were an awful lot of gambling and drug selling locations in the pct. The footmen were supposed to make entries of their observing these places. There is, course, some things not in the memo book. I have recall of some things in the 7 months I spent in the 25. I was told not to go into the restaurant on 114 St and Pleasant Ave because it was a known gambler location and if the mob wasn't in there, some high ranking bosses might be. It is still (I've read)quite a hang out the name is RAOS, In 1959 it was supposed to be owned by a judge. I think that in all that time, I never had a cup of coffee in there. I might have used the toilet once or twice. This reminds me of another late tour meal story. Most Ptl. did not eat on late tours. I'll tell you why later.

 One later tour, I was working on 1st Ave. 110 St. (110 St was the dividing line bet. 23 pct and the 25pct.) and I call the Sgt. on t.s. gave him my meal location and he said why go that far when you can go to patsy's. This was an Italian restaurant on First Ave around 119 St. I don't remember if that place was listed as a KG location or not. Anyway since the Sgt. suggested it, and it was so close, I went there. To a new police officer just out of the P.A. , I was a little concerned about Patsy's because among the problems they had, was double parking in front of the place and if your meal was at 4 am or after, you tried to not notice that some patrons might be drinking other than soft drinks. While I did not see beer bottles, I felt a little uncomfortable.

Eventually, learned that most guys, slept or rested on their meal hours. The problem was giving a meal location. And going somewhere else. I only did that once in a while. May 20 1959(fair) tour 3pm-11pm, to C.O. 15 Pct. strike duty Beth David Hosp. Post Lex&42 St. Nothing to report. This was the first of my many tours "flying". Flying meant being assigned out of the command for many different reasons, parades, strikes, demonstrations and even for patrol in a different pct.

Years later, in 1962, I was in the 61 Pct. and did a lot of time at the Kentile strike on 9th St. in Brooklyn. I was asked if I got my wings yet. Wings meant that you did a lot of flying. Thurs. May 21 4x12 sp1 prevent loitering and breaking (windows I guess) at J.H.S. 45 120 bet 1 and 2 Ave. Again, I put to little in the book. I do remember sometime getting a post with a school on it and one thing to do was count how many broken windows there were at the beginning of the tour and again at the end. I don't remember if there were more at the end of tour on some days.

After a few summonses, I record in my book a whole story of a minor car accident with an aided case. I was sent to joint disease hosp and I put the whole story in the memo book. At 10pm I go to meal and the entry looks like this. 10pm Meal 68 E 124 St. now if you recall earlier entries, when I talk about diners I gave the address as 68 E 125 ST. It looks like I made another mistake. But what the heck, it was only 1 block off. At 11pm, I am back at the same Hosp as I was at 815pm and I record another aided case. It takes 8 lines in the book. That day, I had a lot to report. The next day it was back to 'NOTHING TO REPORT ' Tues may 26,8x4 again, I have sp1. I note that on the next line is says "visit principal at 1145am. 1110am accompanied Cresent ----- to 336 E 119 St. apt 16 to serve summons. 1120am on post 115 meal 2349 2nd Ave. For the 110 entry, I don't say if Rivera served the summons and I failed to visit the principal at 1145am. This is what a rookie does without any one showing and telling you how to do things. When you made a ring, which was every hour, the t.s. would give jobs to the footmen. Some times, while on post, a citizen would come to you with a problem or complaint.

On Fri may 29, I had a p.c. (post change) at 1015 to C.O. 2 Div. at city hall. In my book all it says is "post railing south side opposite city hall". More flying on May 30 another post change at 1030am to C.O. BHMW (I don't know what it means), Central Park Mall. My days off appear to be May 31 and June 1, I then do four 12x8s and the book shows Date June 6, Excused 4-12 June 7 Capt. Morgan. Sun June 7 4x12 in place of 12-8 June 6. So I am now working 4-12 on the 7,8,9,11,12. It looks like I get 1 day off, then work 6 before I get another two days off. To paraphrase a song, "You must remember this"" If I didn't mention it before, I will now. In those days, you worked a chart but when you had to (AKA) when they wanted you to, you did extra tours or worked overtime but that was at straight time back. It again shows that I was not adept at detailing, in my memo book the things I am wondering about now like who reads their memo books from 40 ears ago.

While I was talking about extra work, it was also a fact, that if you were starting a tour outside your command, you were told to be there at the beginning of the tour. This usually meant you had to go to your own command to put on you uniform much earlier then you normally would or you went home with your uniform the day before and then reported to the location in uniform. No portal to portal pay or so much traveling time to assignment as there is now. The P.D. did give 3 days off per year in recognition of the many details and change of tours etc: that many of the officers endured. Getting days off was not too difficult if you wanted something like Tues or wed. Then, again, seniority played a big part in time off vacations. As an example, I would have a year on in the coming October, so I was eligible for vacation. If my year came in the summertime, I could not take vacation then because of all the other officers in my Sqd. who had more time of the job. The dept. also gave days off for good arrest. Not all arrests, but very good ones like false alarm of fires etc: In the 6th Div., which the 25 pct was in, I was told that the Inspector at that time would rather give time off instead of medals , such as excellent police duty, meritorious duty and commendation .etc:.

In those days, you also received time off for donating blood. If you put a U.F. 28, (request for time off) and was approved you could give blood and get the next 2 days off. Later on, I found out some guys got almost 3 days off. They had to get the roll call man to give them a post change to the blood bank during their tour. That way they got the remaining tour and the next two tours.

Back to the book June 9, a four to twelve with a p.c.. at 5pm to a raided premises. That was most likely for gambling. In raided premises, the object was for a uniformed officer to be inside the store counting the people who came in. In being there, it gives the impression that no one is going to make bets while you are there. There was a sign in the window stating that it was a raided premise. There could be other reasons such as prostitution or alcohol or drug arrests in those places also. Doing late tours can be very monotonous, boring and repetitious. While doing a late tour on 1st Ave. , I was checking all the doors to stores. We were supposed to make sure that the store keepers locked the doors to the stores. It also served for us to check the glass. 1Sometimes people would break windows and sometime burglars would break into the stores. The late tour wanted to make sure to discover any break that might have happened on the previous tour. This meant that one of the first things you did was to check doors.

 Doing this all the time became routine and as I said boring. One morning as I was going along shaking doors, I heard and then saw a big dog jump up to the window and bark as I shook the door. I was very frightened and it is something I never forgot. Needless to say, that one store door was never checked again. As I said before the late tours are almost always boring and that is what made guys go in the coop. That meant that there was nothing on the street just a few cars passing by. The biggest thing to do was to make a ring. In making rings every hour you usually got a Sgt on the t.s. if there were three working. As I recall, when that happened one Sgt. was on t.s. one on patrol and the third was to do foot patrol (in fact they very rarely did that. The foot Sgt. also did meal relief's for the D.O. and the t.s. and the patrol Sgt. plus his own meal. When only two Sgts. were working a Ptl. relieved the ts. Sgt. from 2 to 5am so that Sgt went to meal at 2 he then rel. the D.O. for meal at three and at 4 he went on patrol and the patrol Sgt went to meal at 4am. When he came back off meal he would take over the t.s. When there was a '"cop on the box", from 2 to 5am, the footmen didn't have to make rings. They should have but felt that the man on t.s. was the same rank as he was. So he wouldn't give him a complaint. Being a rookie, I never really read the roll call sheet that listed everything for that tour, just my post. (I never was assigned to a sector car all the time I was at the two five. On the roll call you could see if there were 3 Sgts. or 2 or only one.

The roll call contains different parts for all assigned to the platoon. It starts with the desk officer (D.O.) then goes to Sgts. Then to footmen then to sector cars. In '59,they were named sector 1,2,3,etc: after that comes various special conditions and post changes. On the bottom of the roll call sheet, the summons return date. There could be more info depending what the C.O. or the Div wanted. The alarms that go on the back of the previous page and come from the teletype, while most are stolen cars or lic. Plates, also include descriptions of perp. If the Sgt. checks your book, he would look for the alarms, the post conditions if there were any listed on the roll call. I never figured out why the Sgt. signed your book. I would guess it was to prove he saw you on post and inspected your book. The question is how often does somebody check on the Sgt. checking the M.O.P. (man on post). Many years later, we could not give a disposition of radio run as handled by the mop, because we then had women on patrol and the abbreviation would sound ethnically wrong.

Back to the book. Another date I remember very well was Mon. June 22,1959(fair) tour 12am-8am post 3 Meal 2 Ring 60 rel by sec 1. 2am Meal 2287 First Ave. 430am attempted to stoop vehicle driven by George ---- of --- Paff Ave. Uniondale L.I. for one way street. When above came down middle of street where officer (I don't know why I refer to myself as officer instead of "I", signaling with hand and flashlight to stop. He deliberately accelerated and attempted to hit the officer when I had to jump out of way to avoid being hit whereupon, I commander a taxi to pursue him. B---- did commit the following violations in evading me. Signal light, one way St. officer's direction, no license. RMP from 25 finally cornered him at E 119st&E.R.D. Arrest #2759.Also no lights. 8am to photo bureau with prisoner, then Felony Court. and traffic court. 1230pm, left court.

The entry brings many memories. It was my second arrest. The post I had that night was 1st Ave, 110 to 116 St. including Jefferson Park. I had made a ring and was sitting in a Con Ed locker room on E. 111 St. near 1st Ave when I saw a car go down 111 St. toward the East River Drive. I thought he might come back up instead of going around the corner to 111 St. I went out to stop him and give him a summons. Sure enough he saw that there was no entrance to ;the E.R.D. so he turned around and came back up the street. I was in the street with baton, (aka. NIGHT STICK)in left hand and flash light in the right. As the car came up the block, the driver veered toward me and I believe he sped up. I ran out of the way and he sped past. I saw him turn right on 1st Ave. and past another footman , I don't remember who, was on 1st Ave and we stopped a cab and tried to find him. An RMP raced down 119 St and we followed, where I saw about 4 to 6 sector car men surrounding the car that almost wiped me out. The perp. was just sitting and reading a menu from where we worked.(I found out later he was a cook in a diner on B'way &96,) He got out of the car and someone said "what do we have on him?"( an RMP saw him speeding on 1st Ave. and tried to stop him). I said he tried to run me down. All the sectors seemed happy that he would be going for a felony(assault on a police officer)

In those days, the veteran officers didn't talk to rookies, probably thought that some might be reporting back to the Chief's Office. They could have told me that at 8am my tour was over and I could go to court in civies. No one clued me in I was just finishing the paper work when the wagon arrived and I went to court in uniform. (when I left about noon time I went home in uniform).Right before my case was called, the A.D.A., asked me if the perp hurt me. I said that ham I not jumped out of the way, I would not be here now. He then said he was dropping the assault 2nd to assault 3rd (a misd.) After the arraignment, I had to file affidavits in traffic court for the driving violations. After I had left the 25Pct. for the T.P.F. I checked on the arrest from a year past. If you get the court docket #, You can easily find the disposition. I was slightly amused when I found out that the guy who tried to run me down took a plea to disorderly conduct and sentenced to 10 days. I got a big laugh when I found he got 30 days for driving without a lic. (it was his second or 3rd time. Thus, I learned about the court system.(in the early 80's, I had a ADA, I don't think I should use her name, drop an assault on PO, because "she" said it was covered under resisting arrest). Just one additional fact, the car he was driving a 1950 Buick, was vouchered as evidence in an arrest and a PRCLK.1A(property clerk motor vehicle invoice) was prepared. I have the scratch copy. The original had to be typed. I have no idea if the registered owner ever got her car back.

The next big entry was June 24, I had a 1215 p.c. to the med. Bureau. I think this had to do with coming off 9 month probation. What I remember was that I had just about made the weight requirement in coming on the JOB. I thought that if I shrunk down when being measured, my weight be equal to my height, in case I had lost weight. Funny thing, When measured, I was 5-11. Fortunately, the dept. did not check with dept of personnel that had me listed as 6 foot on my original medical exam. June 30, I was flying again this time the tour was 230 to 1030pm. Wed. July 1, again out of command. This was a regular 4 to 12 with a P.C. at 530 to C.O. 17 Div s/e corner of 97 St and Riverside Drive. The book notes Macys fireworks. My post was lamp -post #9906 and 30ft to underpass. It was my first but not my last fireworks assignment. This explains why I am not inclined to go to the city to see a parade or fireworks display. July 6, the book show a Sunday 8x4 1015 am I served a summons to a man from Lawrence N.Y. ,who offered $30 dollars to forget the summons and was warned never to offer again. No other action taken because of lack of evidence (no witness). July 7, post 4, (I believe it was on pleasant Ave. at 330, I was sent on a notification to verify residence of a man on E 115 St. I note that it was verified and I also note that mans name was on the known gamblers list. I had entries on 7 lines of the last page of the book when it was closed out. It was a Lt. who signed it but I can't make out the spelling (it started with an L. When you come to the end of a book, you have the D.O. sign the old one and also sign the new book.

July 9, I took 11 alarms which included one from Mass. 2 from NJ one from Panama?(that's what it looks like ),one truck and a vespa. At 930, I have an entry, observed premises of 71 E 118 St for 15 mins. With no violations of law existing. At 1130, I am sent to "safeguarding property". It was actually a Marshals job. The Marshal gets an eviction notice from court to evict someone from their home. The marshal has moving men place property in the apt. on the street. When there is no one home, a Ptl. is assigned to guard the property until the owner or representative arrives. At 345pm, I write, property of (the woman's name) left in the custody of brother of owner. I had him sign his name and address in my book. Underneath that is a woman's signature and address with a different name that the woman's brother. This is something else I don't remember. I had Marshall jobs a few times. If the owner doesn't show up, the D of S usually picks up the property and stores it. Those and the clothes jobs were routine.
On July 15, I was doing a 12x8 on Pleasant Ave. during the Mount Carmel Feast. It was most likely to watch out for the booths on Pleasant Ave. That day, I handled an aided case and had at P.C. at 5am (excusal) for Special Sessions Court. c/o B---. He was the attempt assault I talked about earlier. I was in court at 930ambut I didn't enter the time I left court. I would have checked in and out at the Police Office in the court. Occasionally, supervisors check the log to see if the Ptl. are still in court and their case has not been called yet.
I now see something else in the UF 16. Sat 18 Jul 1959, to 1 August 1959, Military Leave. U.S.M.C.R. ,Beaufort S.C.. The next entry says Sun Aug 2,1959 Excused ,time lost in court arrest #2759. In those days a MOF in the reserve, was granted 30 days a year to attend the drills. The excusal for the next tour was for time lost in court. At that time, as I said before, it was time back. This reminds me of a classic statement I heard more than once, as did other officers, "I will take you to court on your day off". Sometimes that does happen, but the officer did get the time back. Now, if you have to go to court on your day off, you get time and a half. With certain exceptions, you are re-scheduled to a day you are working. Obviously the Dept. does that to save on overtime.
Friday Aug.7,4pm-12am(you may have noticed I have started skipping some of the entries) at 5pm I wrote a summons for signal light. 750pm Jt. Disease Hospital for an aided case. Aided a mw59 of W186 St. caught right hand in door of railroad car of N.Y. Central at 125 St. station at 730pm Broken and lacerated finger. Wife notified by victim. Treated and sent home. The NY Central is a commuter train that goes upstate and or to Conn. I don't have an entry as to how he broke his finger in the door.
Another puzzling entry is Aug 10,4pm-12am. 215pm to Chief Clerks Office to sign book(end of probation. It was a little past the 9 month probationary period. I also see an entry at "7pm Sgt. J J Murphy 25 Pct. " This was the routine inspection. I am guessing that I had to start the tour early but I can't be sure. They most likely would have changed my tour. Aug.14,8am 500 E119 St. D.O.A. (dead on arrival) Victim had previous history of illness and had been attended by his own doctor. M.E. Notified. 915am, directed to return to post. Police are always called to DOAs to investigate the death. In those days a U.F. 61 was made for the detectives to follow up. The M.E. (medical examiner) would usually release the body to an undertaker if a pvt. doctor says he would sign the death certificate as natural circumstances. Sometime, if it appears natural but the pvt. doctor hasn't seen the victim recently, the M.E. could release to the undertaker and the ME would then go to the funeral home to examine the DOA there. The next day Aug 15, I am doing a 9to5 and the post says,115st.bet.1st Ave. and Pleasant. I think that the time and location meant that it was a gambling post. The next tour is Aug. 16, I am doing a 12pmto8pm at n/e corner 155&8 Ave. It was most likely at the ballroom across from the polo grounds. The Nation of Islam usually had meetings there. I don't remember the name but it is the same place Malcom  X was shot later on. The next day it was another 9x5 but the entry shows held on reserve until 705pm because of power failure. Sat and Sun, Aug. 22-23, Excused S M L 242. That was the order granting time off for military leave.
Aug 224, 255am burglar alarm ringing at 340 Pleasant Ave. all doors secured. Reported to S.H. 310 am Leonard ---, (I cant read my own writing.), bartender arrived and turned off alarm. 330am premises secured by above but alarm not working. Each patrol precinct , has a file of all business and other types such as schools etc: for emergency notification. It shows owner and one or two other people to call if need arises. On Aug 29, on post 48, I have a P.C. at 6pm to post 25,26,27. At 11pm, I was sent to 69 E112st . on stoop. See if amb is needed. 1110pm, Amb not needed. The T.S. would send footmen on jobs such as aided cases, assist civilians in serving summons etc. Footmen in the two five, often came across routine jobs as they walked their post. The job I mention at 11pm was, as I recall, a middle age woman who was intox. And said she was not feeling good. From what I saw, I concluded that she did not need an amb. I would have told her to get someone to take her to the Hosp. because she was not an emergency. I went back to the call box and gave the disposition intox female no amb needed.

Now that I think about it, in those seven months in the 25, I had a lot to report. Not only did I take action on foot, for some reason I put all the details in my book. When I handled a collision on Aug. 28, it took 22 lines in my book.........

On Aug30, doing a 4-12, I note 20 broken windows at PS 7 at the beginning of the tour. 645pm Meal 825 Personal. 845 on post 850 to the Hosp for aided case 8 lines in the book. 915 aided case 5 lines 935 past burg. 17 lines. In that report, the thieves took, among other items, 1 white &gold blanket, $15, 6 bed sheets$18,(white)1 knife with sheath.. At 1155 (the end of my tour), I note "no increase in amt. of broken windows at PS 7. One of the Pct. conditions on that post, was broken windows in the school, which is why the pct. wanted numbers entered in the book. I cant say what happens if you have an increase during the tour. I think the higher-ups, just wanted to make sure the MOP gave them special attention.

Another first for me was Sept 12, 12am-8am, post 4 meal 3 ring 30 rel3&5 at 2. 1240am observed various males playing cards in the back room of Club Aloha on E 112 St. No summary action, reason of attention of players. I think I meant that they saw me looking in the window and stopped.1245am, reported above suspected prem. to D.O. After my meal, the next entry is 815am 9/12/59 Lt. LoIpleto(I think)signature.. His signature was required to show I reported a suspected premise. I was walking my post when I saw the card game, in the club that was on the known susp. Premise list that I had, I felt that if the div raided the place and made an arrest in there, I would probably be taken to task for not observing it. With all the gambling and drugs going on in the pct. I am sure the footmen would be looked at very closely if an arrest were made of something in view. Thus, one of the reasons to make observations of locations on your post...It was subtlety put that one could get a complaint if something or an arrest happened on your post that you should have been aware of. I am sure some police officers were sent to the trial room for something that they did not see. I will tell you about my trial room experience later on. I also have a story about sergeants who like to break chops with footmen. Sept. 14, 120am, observed  E 116 St for violations of prostitution. No violations were observed in past 20 mins. I guess, if during the time, I saw a lot of men going into that location, I would ntfy. The D.O. who would send the patrol Sgt. to further investigate Sept.15, (primary day) tour 130pm to ---23 pct. post A.D. (assembly district) 9 E.D. (election district) 1339 Madison Ave. 230pm Ballot boxes open and empty. Number on protective counter 17060.Public counter. 000. I then go on to list the names of the inspectors of elections. On this day, and on election days. The dept. allows the Ptl. to use their pvt cars to bring the ballot boxes and all the other necessary materials out from the pct to the place the elections are being held. At 300pm I have a scratch (signature) by D.I. Flood (it looks like that) at 403pm a Lt Dudley 1st D.C.O. signed my book the abbreviation meant First Deputy Commissioner Office. 405 relieved by Ptl Iverson for voting 550 returned from voting. If one is doing an entire tour on an election site, they must have time off to go to their voting location to vote. The dept., knowing that there are pretty shrewd guys on the job, requires you to have the inspector of elections in your home area, sign a slip that you actually showed up there. 10pm Polls close. I then list all the totals Liberal party 11 lines of names with 2 or 3 votes. Dems. 33 lines of names, with 28 lines for Republican. This was all for a primary election. From the 15th to Oct 6, I wrote 5 parking summonses, one fire report, 3 moving violations, handled a dispute, recovered a stolen taxi used in an A&R. one collision 2 J.D.s and 4 aided cases. Some over things I learned was lovers parked in out of the way places that to me would appear a possible crime in progress until I saw otherwise. The proverbial carry case from the 4 or 5th floor (on a kitchen chair! and what to say to Sgt. if you miss a ring. Before it happened to me, a friend of mine told me it happened to him and he said he told the Sgt. he did make the ring. When it happened to me, I said the same thing. The Sgt. was not too happy to hear me say that, but, as I said away back, that Sgts. Usually changed from meal, patrol to t.s. So if you missed the 3am ring, when you made the 4am ring, there would possibly be a different Sgt. on t.s. so he could think you were lying, but since he was not at the t.s.. the hour before, he might give you the benefit of the doubt.
U.F. 16, date opened Oct7, 1959. On the first page there are phone numbers for the 5,7,81 Pcts. Also on this page is the location of Mag. Ct. in Man and in Bay Ridge. Also on that page is D.D.186-3 days. .S.O 236 1 day D O. 276 2 days. I think the first, Dept. Directive was for the good work done during elections etc, The others could be for being in the reserves, (you got a day off for that) and the other could be for working on the 4th when all reservists are granted that day off.
Oct. 8, 9and 10 I had three days of registration duty. 28 lines for Thurs, 23 for Fri., and 17 for Sat.  Most of these entries were for routine with names etc: of the members of the elections board plus scratches from bosses, there was on incident on Friday. The entry goes like this, 550pm informed by inspector Dorothy --- that ser. # 680828 was issued on Oct. 8 to James---- reason of lost card. Ward did not cast ballot. S.H. immediately notified. Advised to make entry regarding same, and hand in on slip of paper. Informed Mrs. ----, chair lady to void ballot #2, have inspector sign same & drop into ballot box. Writing the above, now, I sure as heck can not explain why there was a ballot with registration time. I would guess that the registrant put the part that says which party you are into the box.

Thurs. Oct 15, I have "NOTHING TO REPORT'. The only event that day (I underlined the 15) was that it marked one year on THE JOB. On Oct 20,doing a late tour on post 4, I have this entry. 600am Sum#--to Jerome---for stop sign. Three weeks earlier warning was issued to oper. of truck(GCR Bakery)for same violation. The next entry of note is Nov. 2 election duty 4am-7pm 23 Pct. In those days, we were always assigned to a different Pct. I think that was because the dept. did not want you to know the voters as residents of your Pct. Two things come to mind about Election Day. The first was I was on vacation starting Oct 26 and all officers had to come into work on Election Day. The second was, while on vacation I got a call to report to the P.A. for an interview. I went in civilian clothes because I was on vacation and going on my own time and also because I could not go in uniform since I was getting my pistol "nickel plated". Since I was off duty there is no memo entry. I remember going there and the first person I met was Bob Colangelo the clerical man. He is also one of four Chiefs of Detectives that I knew.

I was interview by Capt. William McCarthy. I found out later that he was formerly C.O of the firearms unit. He talked with me and I found out that a new unit was being formed that would go all over the city. It would saturate a Pct. with footmen that would cut down on crime in that area. When he asked me if I would be interested, I said yes. Why would I day no I was already traveling from East Flatbush to East Harlem every day.

Before I leave the 25 Pct., there were things that I learned. I saw my first homicide. While I was coming to work. I had gotten off the Lexington Ave. train and was crossing 125 St. when I saw bright lights from the Police Lab. They were taking photos of the dead male that I found out was stabbed. I also bought a travel alarm clock so I would not miss a ring on late tours. The third was finding lovers in cars. The first one I saw was when walking on First Ave. I saw a yellow cab go down 110 St with its lights out. The street was all commercial and it was 2 or 3am. I thought I had a robbery going down. When I drew my pistol and shined the flashlight inside the cab, there was the cab driver sitting in the back seat with a girl. So much for robbery, but I wanted to make sure the girl was agreeable so I ordered the cabbie out and asked for I.D. He told me that the girl was stood up on her birthday and they got to talking and so on until I found them.
Sat. Nov. 21,1959(fair)845am to P.A. 845am police assigned to Office of the Chief Inspector. After that I have a dash and in different ink, I wrote Tactical Patrol Force. That name did not become official on that date. When the unit was made official, someone told me that it was Dec. 8, 1959. (I wish I had a copy of the personnel order. When it came out in the news, the press stated something like "Kennedys' Komandos" or "Murphys Marauders" Murphy being Michael Murphy the Chief Inspector who the T.P.F. reported to. It also said the 75 men 6(I think) Sgts. 2 Lts. and Capt. who be able to respond to any emergency in the city quickly. Originally, ( they changed it later) all 75 Ptl. were "under 30, six feet tall or more, judo experts(we all got extra training from the P.A. physical instructors ),and I. Q. of 110 or more. I still do not know how they got that or how I was picked. Other that being a rookie that most of us were. As for the Sgts., I was told that most were recently promoted detectives who were told if they did well, they would go to a Det. Sqd. as supervisors. The 2 Lts. I don't know where they came from. I was assigned to the second squad (I think) I note on the back page of my book"2 Sqd. 12-1" which could mean 12 men, 1 Sgt. I have a phone#ca6-2966 or 6200 ext. 526 which was probably was O.of C.I. The T.P.F, did not have a home yet. Some other things about the unit which was unique was, we were encouraged to form car pools within our Sqd. since we did not have a Pct.  where we could change clothes, we would report to wherever in uniform pants. No M.O.F. was allowed to be in uniform in pvt. cars except as I mentioned earlier for election duty. The Capt. also told us that we would be paid for tolls that we that we paid to and from assignments .We could also get gas at a Pct. after we logged 100 miles in going to work. Of course if you were not in a car pool. You would not get that perk. Capt. McCarthy also paired two officers together on the same foot post as an incentive to stay out for the entire tour. We did have separate meal times and took separate personals. That way, there was always someone on post. Another thing about the unit was we did steady 6pm to 2am tours with 64 hours off. The Pct. men were rotating tours and worked 5&56 hours off.

Seeing how difficult it was going to be for us with no steady place to report to. ( we were sometimes called by phone to go to a certain Pct. )The Capt. also gave us time off for all court appearances. If you made an arrest and had to arraign your prisoner the next morning or if a motorist pleaded not guilty to summons and you had to be in court in the morning, you were given 4 hrs. for each app. in court. At that time everyone was going on his own time. If, for some reason you were still in court after 2pm and were scheduled for 6pm that night you called the office and they gave you that tour off. If you made a lot of arrests, you built up a lot of lost time and you could get a day for 2 court app.

Along the way, I met a new Sgt. from the 13th Pct. named Jim Sullivan who would later become the C. of Detectives. Another was Joe Borrelli a Ptl. in a different Sqd. The fourth one I would meet a couple of years later. The Sgt. for the 2nd Sqd was Joe McClellen. He was a Ptl. in the 78 Pct. when he and his partner arrested Willie Sutton. They were promoted to detectives. He was also a Navy carrier pilot in W.W. II. I got to know him when I would drive him. One reason the Capt. wanted Sgts. who were once Dets., was that they could smooth things with the local Pct. Dets. when the T.P.F. made arrests, since they were the ones backing up the paperwork The fact alone, was important for several reasons. Sometimes, the Pct. Dets. were out on a case and not available to process the arrests. Another reason is was that some pct. officers were unhappy about the presence of the unit in their Pct. One day I asked a Pct. officer why the TPF was not liked. He was probably a young officer himself. He said that some guys disliked us because the TPF would swoop into a Pct. and shake up all the people. He said that sometimes, they would rough up some of the toughs and then they would leave a 2am and the Pct. footman who walked alone had to cope with those who might have been unfairly treated.

We had four days training at the 106 Armory where I trained as a rookie. Remember the press release about judo experts? That is where we became so. On Tues. Dec.1,I show tour 4-12 and then 245pm to line up room(Where I was sworn in). Post 40meal 630 rel 35. Throughout my time in the TPF, I don't usually put down what Pct. I was working in. As you will note above. I figure it out since the next line is meal at 118 Mulberry St. and a personal at 4 Centre Mkt. Place, it tells me that our first tour was in the 5th Pct. It also reminds me (I could be wrong but I don't think so) two guys not in my Sqd. were "resting" in a garage when the Chief Inspector happened to look for his brand new unit. Guess what?, they were sent back to their previous command the next day.

I can't think of all twelve in my Sqd. I remember the car pool and some others that I think were in our squad. Bob Conroy, Bill Flaherty, Tom Moore and Brenden Winter also, Ken Bowen, Glen Gibson, Jerry Wilson, Tom Lawler and Charlie McGowan.
End of chapter One

Copyright 2002 John Moran



John Jay Seminar

Support the NYPD!